Bulldozer – Honey Lake
Standard: Bulldozer Operator
Location: Honey Lake Power
classification: Full Time, Non-Exempt
job title: Bulldozer Operator
issue date - revision: 12.10.2020 - 1
The Bulldozer Operator supports the plant by monitoring incoming fuel and managing the movement of fuel to ensure continuous, uninterrupted operation. This work is to be done in a safe and efficient manner, in accordance with written procedures and good operating practices.
The job duties listed are typical examples of the work performed by the Bulldozer Operator. Not all duties assigned to this position are included. Bulldozer Operators may be asked to perform other duties and requirements may vary.
- Maintain awareness of safe working conditions and practice safe work habits in all activities. Caution others, as necessary, to work in a safe manner. Attend safety meetings and training programs and participate in plant safety programs as required
- Operate bulldozer, front-end loader, backhoe, uniloader and forklifts in a safe and efficient manner to manage fuel to maintain continuous operation
- Complete daily preventative maintenance on heavy equipment
- Assist with Scalehouse Weighmaster duties as needed
- Assist with startup, shutdown, and normal services for 315,000 pound per hour Zurn Traveling grate Boiler, General Electric 35 MW Steam Turbine Generator set. Participate in emergency shutdown of plant equipment and select / operate alternative equipment as needed.
- Monitor and inspect mechanical equipment including boiler, steam turbine, fuel conveyors, pumps, motors and all other machinery in the plant as necessary
- Assist maintenance as needed, in times of heavy workload, major overhauls or emergency conditions. Clear wood fuel bridges in throughout the system including fuel feeders and truck dump hoppers.
- Complete and maintains required clean up throughout the Plant
- Manage the fuel supply storage for optimum mixing, storage, drying, reclaiming and pile shaping
- Communicates status of fuel handling equipment to appropriate members of operation
- Maintain daily equipment records
- Assist Shift Supervisor in maintaining environmental standards.
- Handle inert and explosive gas
- Act as planned and unplanned relief when shift vacancies occur
- Perform other duties as assigned and directed by Operations management
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY AND WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
The Bulldozer Operator reports to the Operations Manager and may also receive direction from the Shift Supervisors and/or Control Room Operators as well as other members of plant management
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
- Basic math skills
- Mechanically inclined
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret instruments and gauges.
- Willing to be available for unscheduled shift coverage, able to work overtime, and work rotating 12-hour shifts.
- Must be able to work as a team member as well as independently.
- Must possess initiative, self-motivation and integrity.
- Experience operating heavy equipment preferred
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- The Bulldozer Operator works rotating extended shifts up to 12 hours including nights, weekends and holidays
- The Bulldozer Operator is subject to call out during emergencies or work overload.
- The Bulldozer Operator will work in a noisy environment and will be required to wear hearing protection.
- If selected to be an emergency responder, the Bulldozer Operator will also be required to wear a respirator to respond to plant emergencies.
- The Bulldozer Operator may spend approximately 50% of his/her time operating heavy equipment, approximately 30% of their time may be spent walking up and down stairways & ladders, being exposed to operating machinery and housekeeping as required, approximately 10% of their time pursuing formal training and the remaining approximate 10% of the time is for breaks and lunch.
- Must be able to work in extreme outside temperatures both hot and cold in dusty, windy and wet conditions
- Must be able to push and pull up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 35 lbs. and occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to pull own weight to enter and exit cab of vehicle and equipment
- Must be able to sit for extended periods while driving equipment
- May be required to stand and be on feet for extended periods of time
- Must be able to kneel and squat
- Will be exposed to confined spaces
- Position regularly requires twisting, bending, stooping, crawling, squatting and kneeling
- Requires the ability to climb stairs and ladders to access plant equipment and vehicles
- Exposure to vibration, moving mechanical parts and loud noises
- Must be capable of using protective equipment such as hard hats, safety glasses/goggles, safety shoes, hearing protection, air masks, respirators, etc. in the performance of job duties
- Working with hazardous materials may be required
- All employees are required to comply with the Substance Abuse policy, which includes but is not limited to a post-offer drug screen and physical examination
The statements contained in this job description are not necessarily all inclusive; additional duties may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.